Comfort food is the type of thing to serve on a cold winter’s day after a game of footy, when you are ill or just plain hung over and feel like shit.
Wholesome comfort food evokes childhood memories, so everyone’s idea of comfort food differs slightly, especially if from another country. A good pie often hits the mark for the Anglo Saxon Kiwi, the sexy Swedes love a good meat ball, paella or churros in Spain and goulash in Hungary.
Comfort food isn’t supposed to be the healthiest. Usually it is hot, sometimes it is meaty, sometimes its sweet but it always cheers you up, so if you’re feeling glum try one of these and stop being a miserable sod.
Check out all your comfort food recipes here!
- Apple and rhubarb crumble with custard
- Soup (chicken, bacon and vege, onion)
- Macaronni cheese
- Bangers (sausages) and mash with onion gravy
- Roast dinner with all the trimmings – Beef, chicken, lamb or pork
- Hot chocolate pudding
- Baked potatoes
- Beef stew and dumplings, (any stew chicken chasseur, coq au vin, beef n guinness, beef bourguinon
- Toast and egg
- Cottage pie (not to be confused with cottaging)